Get your ATPL

ATPL is short for Airline Transport Pilot Licence. You need an ATPL to apply for a job at the major airlines.


ATPL or Frozen ATPL?

Compared to CPL, the ATPL theory is even more comprehensive. There is an extra exam and the exams in itself are more in-depth.

When you have your ATPL theory certificate and the practical training for CPL with ME-IR, you get your "frozen ATPL". All of these certificates can be obtained at Rotor&Wings. Your training ends here and you can apply for jobs at airlines.


To switch from a frozen ATPL to a normal ATPL, you will need to show experience. As a fixed-wing pilot you need to have:


  • 1500 hours total time, of which:
  • 500 hrs multi pilot
  • 250 hrs Pilot in Command
  • 200 hrs Cross Country
  • 100 hrs Night flying
  • 75 hrs Instrument Rating


Basically this means you can only reach this stadium when you already work at an airline.